Navigation menu
Sugden, McFee & Roos LLP
We can be reached at 866-826-9772
Practice Areas Menu

What You need to know if You've been Involved in a Hit and Run

A hit and run is defined by ICBC as: "when an unidentified driver damages your vehicle or injures you but leaves the scene of the collision."

You can be provided coverage for up to $200,000 if:

· You are a B.C. resident (non-B.C. residents have different limits depending on their place of residence)

· You are injured or your property is damaged by a hit and run

· If the incident occurs on a B.C. highway

· In the case of multiple claimants being involved the $200,000 coverage amount will be split

What else should you know?

· $750 deductible for hit and run damage

· There is no deductible for injuries suffered in a hit and run

· If your claim is honoured ICBC will not change your insurance rate

How to make a hit and run claim:

· Try to identify the other vehicle and the driver responsible by taking a photo, looking for witnesses, or recording a description of the vehicle, the driver, the license plate and the direction the vehicle is travelling

· You should also post and/or distribute fliers in the area of the accident requesting that witness contact you

· Call the police to make a report within 24 hours in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred

· Call ICBC at 604 520 8222 or 1 800 910 4222. This is a 24 hour hotline and after taking your information ICBC will guide you through the next steps of your claim

Please remember to:

· Provide written notice to ICBC ASAP and no longer than 6 months after the hit and run. Failing to do so may lead to your claim being denied

· Don't try to repair or clean the damage before your ICBC processes your car. When you call 604 520 8222 you will be instructed to go directly to a c.a.r. shop VALET facility for a damage estimate or if you need to meet an ICBC member at a claim centre

If you witness a hit and run:

· Record the license plate number, vehicle description, time and place and a description of the driver

· Call the police to make a report

· Call the ICBC tip line at 1 800 661 6844

Understanding the steps of filing an ICBC claim can be difficult, especially if this is your first time filing a claim. At Sugden, McFee & Roos LLP, we have more than 25 years of experience handling ICBC accident and injury claims, and the skill to advocate strongly on your behalf with ICBC.

If you have been injured in a hit and run accident, you should speak to a lawyer. Call the lawyers at Sudgen, McFee & Roos 604 687 7700 or toll free at 866 826 9772 for advice and assistance with your hit and run accident claim.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Vancouver Office
375 Water Street, Suite 700
The Landing
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 5C6

Toll Free: 866-826-9772
Phone: 604-259-0846
Vancouver Law Office Map