Patrick F. Lewis
Patrick Lewis has been practicing litigation for over 30 years and has been a partner in Sugden, McFee & Roos LLP since 1994. Pat has acted in civil disputes throughout his career and has a broad-ranging practice in commercial litigation, disputes pertaining to wills, estates or trusts, real estate litigation, mining and securities matters, the defence and general representation of professionals, shareholder and partnership disputes, and defamation claims. Pat has also represented hundreds of persons injured in motor vehicle accidents and by other means and maintains a very active practice in that area.
Pat has frequently appeared before the British Columbia Superior Courts, has on a number of occasions appeared through written submissions in the Supreme Court of Canada and has been counsel before a host of administrative tribunals, including many commercial arbitrations. Where appropriate, Pat endeavours to resolve his clients’ disputes privately, often through mediation.
Effective August 30, 2010, Pat was appointed by the government of British Columbia as a member of the Financial Services Tribunal, and in that capacity hears and adjudicates appeals from various administrative bodies. On July 21, 2014, Pat was appointed as a Vice Chair of that tribunal. On February 25, 2015, Pat was appointed by the B.C. government as a member of a second appellate tribunal, being the Community Care and Assisted Living Appeal Board.
For several years, Pat has been recognized by the publication Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading practitioner in both corporate and commercial litigation and estate litigation. Pat has also been identified as a “litigation star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada, The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms And Attorneys, having been nominated by peers and clients as a pre-eminent litigation practitioner. In the respected international publication Martindale-Hubbell, Pat has long been assigned a BV rating, reflecting high legal ability and ethical standards.
Pat has made many contributions to his community, including over twenty years of coaching in youth sports and being one of the first counsel to participate in a pro bono Legal Services clinic in Vancouver, which Pat continued to do for about 10 years. He has also contributed to the legal profession by speaking at Continuing Legal Education courses, acting as a judge in student moot court programs and frequently representing members of the profession before the Law Society.
Areas of Practice
- British Columbia, 1985
- University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- LL.B. – 1984
- Simon Fraser University – 1981
- Acted for an individual who suffered life-threatening injuries when a car crashed through a building and crushed him against a wall
- Represented a Chief Operating Officer whose employment was abruptly terminated by a public company
- Acted for a public company in a dispute over ownership of mineral claims in the Arctic
- Represented a beneficiary in a case concerning the proper interpretation of a home-made Will involving a substantial estate
- Represented people whose son was tragically killed in an automobile accident
- Acted for a broadcast company and television reporter in a defamation action brought concerning a lengthy television news broadcast
- Represented the owner of various hospitals in a dispute with a related fundraising organization
- Counsel for various Canadian and American charitable organizations in a lengthy trial concerning beneficial ownership of their assets
- Represented one of the world’s largest insurance companies in a coverage action relating to a massive product failure
- Acted for a European country in two lawsuits brought in the British Columbia Supreme Court
- Defended a group of individuals sued in defamation with respect to harassment complaints made about the Plaintiff in the workplace
- Represented a British Columbia Crown Corporation with respect to breach of contract allegations pursued through all levels of the Court system
- Acted for a public company in a dispute over its right to distribute a product being sold worldwide
- Acted for an Engineer in disciplinary proceedings concerning his certification of a construction project
- Counsel for a director of a public company in a claim that he had converted a corporate opportunity
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in Canada
- Identified as a “Litigation Star” in British Columbia by Benchmark Canada, The Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms And Attorneys
- BV rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Government of British Columbia, Member of the Financial Services Tribunal
- Financial Services Tribunal, Vice Chair, 2014
- B.C. Government, Member of a Second Appellate Tribunal, Community Care and Assisted Living Appeal Board, 2015